Comparison of film versus novel (Lust for Life).
IF YOU COPY OR QUOTE SOMEONE ELSE'S FILM REVIEW OR WORK WITHOUT A CITATION YOU WILL FAIL THE ENTIRE CLASS
Please put a complete heading at the top of your paper.
Please type the question before your answer.
Please double space your answers.
This must be typewritten. Handwritten assignments will not be accepted.
1) Make a list of major themes and or scenes that the film and the novel shared.
2) Make a list of major themes and or scenes that the film and the novel did not share.
3) What other books, music, works of art, or "texts" are referred to in the Stone's book and why? (This is called intertexuality and is very similar to a contextual analysis.)
4) The lists you made show what the author and director chose to emphasize in their portrayal of Vincent. What you think Irving Stone's main ideas or themes were in writing the novel?
5) What other films, books, music, works of art, or "texts" are referred to in Minnelli's film? (This is called intertexuality and is very similar to a contextual analysis.)
6) Cinematography and visual style are very similar to formal elements in painting. Write a paragraph or two in which you analyze the film maker's use of color, space, focus, depth of field, camera angles, POV, composition, movement, aspect ratios, light and lighting, and set design.
7) In question's five and six you analyzed the film's intertexuality, visual style, and cinematography. What kinds of symbols, ideas, or themes did the film maker's choices emphasize?
8) You've just analyzed the major formal, iconographic and contextual simlarities and differences between the film and the book. This should help you to answer this next question. The film's director Vincente Minnelli had a different vision or idea about Vincent's life then Irving Stone the author. What do you think Minnelli's main themes were and how are they different from Irving Stone's themes?
9) Most of the time people say that they like the book better than the movie because the book provided more detail. Aside from this reason,
Whose version of Vincent's life do you think is better and why you think so?
Use some of the information from answers above to support your point of view.